February 17, 2012

No time like the present

Kitchen window, day 92

I've mentioned before that we've been in the process of potty-training Kieran for the past several months. It's not been going well.

So, today I decided to bite the bullet and switch him to underpants (sans rubber lining) cold turkey, with the thought that maybe he would finally realize what he's doing -- and the consequences of not doing what he's doing in the proper place -- and that would spur him into telling me when he needs to do what he needs to do.

Although I'd like to report that he got the hang of it immediately, this was not the case. He did, however, at one point, come to me and say, "I'm a mess." And later in the day, after he'd again gone on the floor and not on the potty, he started waddling like a penguin and saying, "Waddle, waddle, waddle" because he was uncomfortable with his current situation (I had to laugh). So, I'm encouraged that he may be that much closer to wanting to use the potty. We'll see what the next weeks bring.

(Note to the in-laws we'll be visiting with this week-end: I'll bring diapers.)

And these are random pictures that have nothing to do with potty-training but I'm posting because my SIL wants pictures.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is what we did with Elizabeth and within 3 days she had it. But I've heard boys are more difficult to train. I made a big deal about letting her choose big girl panties if she learned to go on her own. Not sure if boys are as excited about underwear choices! In my opinion the pull ups are a waste of time. -Georgia

Anonymous said...

Every parent and every kid is different so I don't know if this will help you. My son's urologist told me not to potty train him until he woke up dry in the morning. He was 3 1/2 when this happened, I took off the diapers, put on underwear and never used pull ups or anything at night. He was trained in a week and it was so easy.